Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Talmid Toah's Tuesday

Hello wall...

"Talking to the wall" is a famous Yiddish expression, used when one feels that his/hers words are reaching no where. Of course, the Western Wall is different. Not for its ears that he is missing, it is indeed a place where people pray with all their hearts, and traditionalist believe that when you're fully immersed in your prayers, the Almighty shows out His greatness.

Last night, after naming my post, I realized that all 3 letters start with the letter B. On my way to work, while sitting in traffic for the sake of living in Brooklyn, I suddenly thought that todays post will title with triple T's. The reason why I'm telling you all these, is because I don't really have other major news.

Oh, how can I forget? I do have something to share. It happened In shul today, while I was reading some of my print outs that I take along (so I won't be lonely), I heard an Israeli begging voice. This is totally not a wired phenomenal. However, at the small shul I do my service, beggars know its address due to the wealthy member, Mr. G. who is known for his good heart and charity he gives for poor people. 

The essay I was reading with much interest played the wall role... it was blocking the Israeli man's plea. I didn't do more than perfunctory (-this english word I just learned. How? I was looking for a translation of the Hebrew phrase, actually it's said first by prophet Isaiah (29;13), "מצוות אנשים מלומדה", which means servicing God perfunctory, with no intention. The funny part is that when I first typed the hebrew word "מצות" with only one "ו", Google translated it to "Matzah mechanically", I perfunctory laugh to myself (did I used my new word in place?), since "machine matzah" was banned by some European authorities who were claiming, inter alia (another new word for me today), that passover bread made and baked with no human intention can not be used to fulfill the Biblical obligation of eating theese special bread on the first night of the passover holiday. So Google puts alike "Matzah mechanically" to "perfunctory". Oh, I got stuck in a halachic discussion. Anyhow, back to the story.) 

The guy wasn't happy with my one dollar bill, he kept telling me his bad and needy situation. I had to look who this guy with guts is. I was shocked, he recognized me when I was still reading my stuff, he wanted my attention that's why he continued talking till he broke through that wall... a decade ago he had his seat in a Jerusalem Yeshiva not far from mine. Now he is already marrying off is oldest daughter (he didn't turn 40 yet!) Sure enough we immediately had some small talk, and I accompanied him over to Mr. G. I introduced my fellow, and my words were fruitful. 

You see, you think that you have nothing to say, but once you start, stories comes up.

By the way, I opened a Facebook account, in order to find friends/readers. Please befriend Talmid Toah, Thanks

Love you all
T"T

No comments:

Post a Comment